Thursday, September 30, 2010

Judd Jugmonger's Chicken Pickin' Lowdown - Part 1

Hey Y'all!

Lots of folks and kin keep askin' me what type of music do I got on my mp3 player and in General Lee (that thar was a joke! I meant "generally") what kind of music do I like listenin' to.  Well, I like all sorts of music, especially bluegrass and country blues, but I really like the most is what's called chicken pickin' guitar style music, what's played on a Fender Telecaster.  That's the style of picken' what was invented by the great James Burton. Here's a video fer all y'all what ain't got no clue:




Now, I reckon lots of y'all know somethin' about Brad Paisely, and well, he plays lots of chicken pickin', too. I'd say he might be one of the best thar is, these days. Here's a video of him doin' his stuff:



Ok. I reckon y'all got the idea now. Thar's lots of chicken pickers out there, and if any of y'all are tryin' learn to chicken pick, like me, y'all will find lots of video lessons on the internet. Here's a young feller what plays like the dickens and offers some lesson as well. His name is Doug Seven and I tend to put his videos on and then do some jaw droppin. Here's one:



After I seen his pickin' I went out and got me some of his music. So this here is one album what I got on my MP3 player:

Doug Seven: Seven

Ok, another picker what I really like is Matt Rae. He's a wonderful picker and got him a bit of a jazzy sound as well. Here's a chicken pickin' video lesson what he put on the youtube:



He's also got some great music out thar and his album Tele-pathic is my favorite. It don't take a rocket scientist to know that I got it on my mp3. Y'all oughtsta have it, too! Here's a link to it:


matt rae: tele-pathic

Now, one of my favorite chicken pickers is Forrest Lee Jr. and man o' man, I tell y'all what he blows me away everytime... and this video, too! Here's my favorite song of his what I think is just country-fried goodness. Cousin Judith, what is weather intensive likes this video, too:



Here's the album what that thar song comes from. It's called Telethon and I probably play it as much as I play Jerry Reed or Buck Owens! That thar should tell y'all somethin', right thar!
Forrest Lee Jr.: Telethon

Now speakin' of Buck Owens, he and his band the Buckaroos developed what called the Bakersfield Sound, which ... well I ain't gonna split frog hairs with you folks - y'all can hear some of the basics of chicken pickin' in some of there songs. Here's one:



Now I don't want y'all to be confused none on account of thar is lots of good pickers out thar what can pick the heck out of thier guitars. Here are two of the best there ever was. Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed:



But see, fer chicken pickin' it's best to have a Fender Telecaster. Y'all need that TWANG what ya ain't gonna git with no classical guitar, or even a Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman or Tennesee Rose guitar! Know what I mean? I think y'all do.

Ok, I think in a spell I'm gonna write y'all another post on this topic. Maybe I'll include some links and videos for all y'all what want to learn to chicken pick. Now, if any of y'all out there got some recommendations for me to include, send me an email and let me know!


All the best,
- Judd Jugmonger


-----------------------------
PS. Here's some suggestions fer all y'all what want to lean more about chicken pickin' and guitars in General Lee (Ha! I got y'all again!)

Johnny Hiland: Chicken Pickin' GuitarChicken Pickin' (Guitar Educational)Red Hot Country Guitar (Guitar Signature Licks)Hal Leonard Country Guitar Method (Hal Leonard Guitar Method)The Legendary Guitar of James Burton

The Fender Telecaster (Reference)Arlen Roth's Masters of the TelecasterThe Fender Telecaster Handbook: How To Buy, Maintain, Set Up, Troubleshoot, and Modify Your TeleSix Decades of the Fender Telecaster: The Story of the World's First Solidbody Electric GuitarTelemaster A Wiring Guide For The Fender Telecaster

PSS: I reckon y'all know that here is my band's album: Jugmonger: Live At The Hootenanny. Thar ain't much chicken pickin' goin' on in most songs, but if y'all give a listen to "Lectrifried Locomotive" I done my best to come pretty close!

Jugmongers: Jugmongers: Live At The Hootenanny

No comments: